Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Nobody Knows The Truffles I've Seen

Longevity beckons to boomers!  We're looking for something to keep our minds alert and our bodies strong.  My eyes have been drawn to chocolate and cookbooks and yes, in that order.

John Robbins is a best selling author of a number of books including Healthy at 100, and he wrote the foreword in a friend of a friend's cookbook "Health By Chocolate".  He speaks of the wonderful mood-enhancing phytochemicals in chocolate that benefit both body and mind.

As I grab for a piece of 70% fair trade dark chocolate, I remember that little gem.  "Mmmm chocolate, this is going to make me happy today."  My voice sounds oddly like Homer Simpson, when he says "doughnuts"!

The fantasizing begins as I flip through "Health By Chocolate" by Victoria Laine.  Wonderful pictures of chocolate creations (ALL GOOD FOR ME!) and recipes which the author promotes as  "health benefits with guilt-free pleasure". The "Double Double" Chocolate Fudge Brownie recipe has me roped in and I begin sounding like Liz Lemon from 30 Rock as I stare at the chocolate creation on the page, "I want to go to there...."

www.healthbychocolatebook.com

I grab for another piece of chocolate. This time it's a piece off the Licorice Manuka Honey Chocolate Truffle bar I have recently purchased. It was a toss up between the licorice or the mint chocolate. Both are excellent from ZibaDel Natural.  The outer wrapper says "Happiness Guaranteed"  ! For a supplier near you, go to www.zibadel.com


Snapping back to reality, I open the Saturday paper and see another cookbook worth checking out. This one is an e-cookbook and is available as a download. MINDfull co-authored by Carol Greenwood and Daphna Rabinovitch interweaves scientific facts about brain health with recipes that supposedly lower the likelihood of developing dementia.

If you would like to order the e-cookbook it's a $9.99 download from iTunes, Amazon, etc.  Some of the proceeds go to support programs and services that promote excellence and innovations in aging and brain health.  You will see more about Baycrest Health Sciences where research is ongoing at this link
www.baycrest.org

And now if you'll excuse me I must get back to my own research. I am looking into the benefits of eating dessert BEFORE dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment