Search This Blog

Thursday 25 October 2012

Looking For Ways to Make Life Easier

I am always looking for ways to make my father's care home living easier.  Dad is having trouble getting his shoes on and off, so today I went and got him some shoes that have Velcro instead of laces.  Recently my mother bought him some bigger socks made for diabetics and they slip on and off his feet, easier. Dad doesn't have diabetes but the socks are better fitting.

Last week when I was having lunch with him I noticed that he wasn't drinking his fluids. I observed that his hand wasn't tipping the juice into his mouth.  I promptly went and got him a straw and he finished the entire glass of juice in a very short time.  I asked the staff to start giving him a straw when they serve him his cold beverages.

The dry erase board I purchased for him is handy for writing reminders and every time someone visits they change the date and write down events of the day.  A guest book is useful as well but the memo board he can easily look at and see that today I brought him pumpkin pie and we went for a walk and tomorrow Mom will visit.

If your loved one has a cordless phone and has mobility issues, you can purchase a pouch that can go over the bars of their walker or wheel chair and the phone will always be handy for them and so will their television remote.

One of my clients had terrible eyesight and so I bought him one of those huge universal remotes from Staples so he could always find it and could use it on his own!  As well, I got him one of those EASY buttons from Staples.  It was a lot of fun for him (and for his visitors) to push the red button and hear "THAT WAS EASY!"  and really, isn't that the name of the game these days?


No comments:

Post a Comment