Search This Blog

Monday 21 November 2011

The Garden of Happiness

It was hard to find a card today that had the right sentiment for the family of a lady who lived to be 105! The "With Sympathy" cards just didn't seem appropriate for this time of loss.  Bea just wasn't any lady, she was my dear friend and we met when she was in her late nineties.  She had such a positive outlook on life and on death.  She lived like each day after her 100th birthday was a blessing.

We met through a mutual friend named Laurie, a dear soul whose memory was failing. It was at Laurie's 90th birthday party that Bea encouraged me to bring Laurie over for tea whenever I could manage it.  Darling Bea who had poor eyesight and poor hearing but a mind as sharp as a tack was often the co-ordinator of  small luncheons and tea parties for two and memorial gatherings.

Bea didn't do all this hosting single-handedly, she had help from two wonderful daughters and grandchildren galore.  It was because of family members who adored her that she was able to live in her own modest home until mobility issues restricted her from remaining there.

Her house was sold to a nice young family and Bea moved into a nursing home.  It was actually a transitional place that was temporary until a more suitable permanent lodging could be secured.  It was here that I visited her in a nice bright room overlooking a garden and I asked of her state of being.  She replied "I vowed that I would be happy no matter where they put me". Her smile was genuine and she continued "And I am happy".

Not long after that, she had to be moved to another facility.  Her room was on one of the higher floors of the building and garden access was not particularly easy. When weather permitted, she would be out breathing the fresh air, thanks to someone pushing her wheelchair onto the elevator and someone else delivering her to the main floor garden exit.  Her daughters visited usually on alternate days so Bea felt anything but lonely.  She had decided to be happy here also.

Bea's handwriting became shakey but it didn't stop her from sending me annual Christmas cards. I delighted in showing people the cards I received from my centenarian gal-pal.  I also found it fun to ask when buying a greeting card for Bea's birthday each October if they had anything that celebrated being 101 or anything that congratulated someone who was turning 102 years old, and so on!  Usually I just wrote on her card "WOW!"

Her strong voice would greet me on the other end of the phone line when I called her and it was equally as strong sounding when she phoned me.  Her keen mind retained bits of information I had told her previously and she would inquire about my children and what they were involved with.

Last week I received a phone call from one of her daughters informing me that her mother had passed away peacefully and had been "with it" up until a few days prior to her leaving this world.  I didn't cry with the news but smiled broadly that I had known such a remarkable woman.

Today was funeral day for Bea and  I awakened with  Beethoven's 9th Symphony playing in my head.  The words to "Ode to Joy" sprang from my lips.

Joyful, joyful we adore Thee,
God of glory, Lord of love;
hearts unfold like flowers before Thee,
opening to the sun above.
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness, 
drive the dark of doubt away;
giver of immortal gladness,
fill us with the light of day. 

When I walked into the small chapel, I picked up the programme which read "Thanksgiving for the life of Bea" and to my delight I found at the back of the folded document, the words to ODE TO JOY, the only song that had been chosen for us to sing at this parting celebration! 

I imagine now that she is sitting in the garden of eternal happiness.  Way to go Bea, 105, WOW!










1 comment:

  1. Ah, Gail, I have tears in my eyes as I write this. What a beautiful story of a beautiful life. Bea had figured out that joy comes from within, not from anything that happens around or to us. Your blog is getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete