Search This Blog

Thursday 2 November 2017

My Feather Collection

For the past four years I have been the recipient of feathers of different sizes and colours , each one unique, but with a familiar feel. Each one touches me in some precious way and calls out to my heart “I am here for you.”
The first was given to me on the soft breeze of a summer evening. The sun was setting and two ravens cavorted above me overhead.  My mother had been buried that day next to my father and as I looked up thinking of how they were now reunited a small black feather dropped down, down, down and I ran to it and caught it before it reached the ground.
The second was on the first anniversary of my father’s passing and as I watered some house plants, a tiny yellow feather captured my attention.
The third was white and mysterious on the grass outside my house. It was for my eyes, only, placed in such a way for my discovery on the second anniversary of Dad’s passing. I didn’t know of any birds in my neck of the wood with white feathers, other than Bald Eagles, but this size was unlike those of the great, majestic bird. I ran inside with my find and did a Google search typing in the words “white feather” and within an instant the first image that appeared on screen was that of a white feather, just like the one I held in my hand, with the words “Angel Feather” .
Recently, after attending “The Gathering” a beautiful production about a First Nations youth’s search for meaning, I got into my car and pulled my seatbelt across when something pricked me in the side. I looked down and a mini version of an eagle feather was stuck in my dress.
And two weeks later, on the night of Oct 31st, while assisting my granddaughter with her hummingbird Halloween costume, I again felt a poke and looked down to see an orange feather stuck in my sweater. I was wearing an orange shirt and I smiled because it seemed the angels had chosen a perfect match for my attire.  
Many indigenous tribes, the Aboriginal, The Egyptians, the Celts, and our own American First Peoples believe that feathers are symbols of The Creator. They are highly revered and sacred gifts from the sky. Some believe that they bring stories of the next life.  A connection between us and the Divine. In the Middle East, Peacock feathers have great significance. Some cultures believe that the hollow shaft of a feather carries your prayer up to heaven and God answers and sends your answer back via the same means.
There are many quotes from the Baha’i writings which reference the soul, the spirit, and the heavenly realm and they provide such solace.  Reading the words of Baha’u’llah and Abdul- Baha about heaven , or  the “next world”  and the use of metaphors containing images of birds , such as ….”enable this bird trained by Thy hand to soar in the eternal rose garden”  and “He hath flown to the Kingdom of Immortality”, and “The hearts of such as are devoted to Thee have winged their flight towards Thee” are a source of great assurance and joy.

Whatever the true purpose is of these soft signs coming my way, even if whimsy,  are pure delight and I look forward to seeing further confirmations in feather form and adding them to my growing  collection.





No comments:

Post a Comment