Search This Blog

Thursday 13 September 2012

A Reader Sends Me Her Top Ten

Mrs. W. wrote to me after reading my article on SuperAgers:

Hi Gail,
Thanks for the report, I too think I am a SuperAger and I think the major benefit is who you had for parents. That said, I do not just sit around and enjoy my genes!

1)  I refuse ALL prescription drugs

2)  I take an unbelievable amount of supplements. In 1992, I responded to an offer in the mail. It was Dr. Julian Whitaker's Health Letter. I cut out many articles and only recently let my subscription lapse after 20 years of wonderful direction.

3) I did Aqua Fit until I got rid of my car. I find walking for my needs I seem to have less need for regular adjustments at the chiropractor.  I don't do a regular walk, just to do my regular living as a person does with their car.  I do a minimum work out in the bathroom most mornings with stretches and two pound weights.

4) I was doing crosswords and Sudoku daily. It forces me to stay at the table until I have finished my breakfast.  Lately I'm taking a break from that, but I did find it fun.

5) I do a modest amount of volunteerism.  Volunteering is good for your heart!

6) I no longer watch the news.

7) I laugh a lot, especially when playing games (Cribbage every Tuesday and Carpet Bowling on Friday)

8) I was interviewed for a study on healthy ageing. My name was chosen randomly by BC Health

9) I do a lot of creative sewing and knitting.

10) Every morning I have coffee in bed at 6am, then I read and then I meditate (not the kind where you empty your mind but where you go with the flow) and several times a day I pray (once again not someone else's printed formula but my own one to one chat with the Top Gun)

I am 82 years now and on my 89th birthday I plan to stop buying supplements and let them run out.  My mom was buried on her 90th birthday. Sounds good to me. 

Oh and one more thing: I don't buy organic but I would if I was still cooking for kids.  I do like to eat lots raw.


No comments:

Post a Comment