Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Grey Tsunami

Baby Boomers are bracing for a huge tidal wave. It's all of us retiring and growing old together.  Flotillas of us searching for availability at care homes.  Thousands upon thousands heading to higher ground hoping perhaps our kids will build a suite for us in their place.

The headlines scream like Henny Penny that the sky is falling and that we'd better get prepared. We should run, not walk, to financial planners and get that nest egg bigger.  Prudent saving. Do yoga. Stretch. Eat Fish Oil.

If you had a grab and go kit for when the big surge happens what would you include in it?  You can pack material goods if you want to or you could stash some virtual goods.

Here's what I would want in a bag ready by the door:
  • flexibility (two types)
-physical  I don't need to be able to do the splits, but it'd be great to be able to walk or run
-emotional  It'd be great if I didn't sweat the small stuff-
  • sense of humour
-the self deprecating kind
-and some quirky thrown in
  • volunteerism/service
-let me help others in any way I can
  • strength
-in order to do something for myself if needed. I might need to lift a tree or something.
  • extra virtues
-joy, patience, faith, and anything else I could fit in there
  • tons of memories
-childhood, marriage, birth of children and grandchildren
  • the ability to remember names
-I hate getting that blank look on my face
  • prayers and inspirational quotes
-some committed to memory and some written on bits of paper and laminated so they won't get destroyed
  • and a few material items just to be on the safe side:
matches, candles, toilet paper, hip protectors, tea bags, important phone numbers, Kraft Dinner, water, flashlight, batteries, warm blanket, photos of loved ones, a few gold bars, a lot of chocolate.


I would be interested in hearing what you would put in your Grey Tsunami Preparedness Kit.
If you don't have a gmail/blog account, you can just send it to me as "anon" in the comments section.  I will pick a first, second, and third best and will award prizes.

-

    3 comments:

    1. Well, since I can't remember names now, I don't think I will get better with age! lol

      The top of my list: flexibility and patience. I want to continue having an open mind and be accepting of others, especially the "wild" ideas of the younger crowd. Even if I think the ideas are silly and won't work, I want to be able to encourage them to try. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised! Even if I'm not, I want them to have the opportunity to find out for themselves what works and what doesn't. Just like I had the same opportunity.

      As for patience, I want my life to be leisurely enough that I have all the time in the world to wait for someone.

      And I'll need a chair so I can sit and watch people while I wait for whatever it is I'm waiting for.

      Appreciation and reverence: appreciation for the beauty I see in everything around me. And reverence for the sacredness of this beauty.

      Time - lots of time - to spend with those that I love enjoying the simple things in life. Like cloud watching, and freckle counting, and stone skipping and dandelion puff blowing and daisy plucking and puddle splashing and rain dancing.

      Energy and agility: enough to create beautiful works of art out of the everyday items that surround me. Enough to weave beautiful art pieces directly into my surroundings. Enough to help a little one do the same.

      Wide embrace: wide enough to hold all those that are special and dear to me.

      Ability to participate in the special moments in my loved ones' lives.

      And a really hot looking car and some funky sunglasses. So everyone can say, "when I get old, I want to be just like her."

      Martha

      ReplyDelete
    2. Gail THis is FABULOUS !!!! Send it to EVERY newspaper & magazine publication you can find !!!
      You are right on !!
      My thoughts !
      Strength - a hand for me & and always a hand for others - that's why we have two !

      A ready smile for all.

      Wise Words of encouragement for Everyone - the wee ones, youngsters, teens, adults and especially for those who are disagreeable with us - an EXTRA dose of kindness given calmly for them !!

      As for the prize.
      YOU Continuing to write is all I need.
      Thank you Gail !

      Thank you for your writing & for being you - your caring & helpfulness !!

      Stay the course through this Tsunami !

      Glad we're on board together.

      :-D

      ReplyDelete
    3. I like your bag of goodies Gail and would definoitely include a liberal helping of Martha's and D's. Not that much to add to what you three have stuffed into the bag, but here's a few...slap my wrist if some have been mentioned already.

      My marbles...all of them.
      My baseball glove...for when I start my comeback.
      My D-Ribose...a good fatigue beater
      Lotsa good movies
      An unlimited supply of classical music
      A good bike
      My journal
      The best eyesight I can muster
      My skateboard
      And, if allowed, my wish list:
      a heart pure, on fire and wide as the world
      joy as deep and abiding as the ocean
      a spirit with two good wings
      enthusiasm beyond measure
      unlimited energy and muscles that don't atrophy
      a keen-sighted soul and ears that hear
      a sense of drama as I journey through act 3
      absolute sincerity
      endless curiosity and
      my wife...without whom I would have no anchor.

      Well I came up with more that anticipated. Could even add a bunch more, but hey, let's leave it at that, it was fun, thanks for the opportunity to participate. And, oh yes...I'd probably pack a load of art supplies including a large roll of rice paper, some black ink and a set of Chinese brushes.

      Love ya Gail,
      Bill

      ReplyDelete