Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 October 2011

She wasn't a Shrinking Violet

As the season change is upon us and we are gradually accepting that it is autumn and that we have to start wearing coats and boots, let us not forget those who cannot go outside whenever they wish.  Those who have lost their mobility and can only sit looking out the window.

One of those was an octogenarian named Violet who sat longingly looking out at the brawny construction workers on the scaffolding of the building outside her care home. It was there that I would find her sitting in her wheelchair whiling away the hours until the next meal or the next carpet bowling session.  No coaxing was needed to get her to go outside with me. "Let's go for a walk", I would say "I love pushing people around!"

I would get her coat on and out we'd go, first to look at the construction site and then for a little walk around the neighbourhood.  Often we'd stop in at the corner store to get her a scratch and win lottery ticket, and on the way back I would pick up falling maple leaves for her to hold in her hands.

It was on one such day whilst dodging rain drops I accidentally pushed her chair through a mud puddle. Expecting her to scream at me to watch where I was going, she instead ordered me to "Do it again!"

With her cackling with glee I ran through the water once more and the drops sprayed up and over us.  I realized at that moment that our carefree attitude of childhood gets lost over the years and then returns in our sunset years. I then decided to encourage it as the naughtiness is not followed by scolding.  On rainy days thereafter, I would dress Violet  in a waterproof poncho, (they only cost a dollar at the dollar store) and off we would go to face the elements.  It made her feel alive!  It made me laugh.






6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thing you do for people! Too often we are worried about what people will say or think,when sometimes it's just he right thing to do. As my Auntie was going she wasn't worried about what she should eat (Due to her heart troubles), but rather what she wanted to eat before she went. Dinner was often an Aero bar and some Dundee cake. That's what she wanted and she has a right to eat what she wanted. She said even condemned men get a choice of their last meal so why shouldn't she? Who am I to argue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 84 year old mom is a bit like that. Thank goodness she is surrounded by people that appreciate here youthfulness. It is also fun to provide opportunities for her to act her 'real age' which is probably around 21. Thanks for being one of the few who speak about people in this stage of life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, reading your posts gives me a warm fuzzy feeling... we should all be lucky enough to have our twilight years spent in the company of such a compassionate soul as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Auntie I love your stories, and I love knowing that you brought light into the lives of so many people who are too often marginalized. I look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post really got me to thinking; why is that we lose that carefree spirit? When we were younger we did as we pleased and just had fun enjoying the moments. Somewhere along the way we started to care far too much about what people think. It's sad that we have to wait for our twilight years to go back to that way of being. I am going to try to find that inner child at least once a day and just let the moment take me. Thanks Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I get old I want you around. :) You are a wonderful person to be spending time with the elderly and helping make their last few years of life enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete