Search This Blog

Sunday 25 September 2011

Just don't call me late for dinner

I have been called a lot of things over the years.  Sounds like an opening line for a comedy sketch!  Truly though, with all the people I have looked after, I have had a lot of names. It comes with the territory.  I would introduce myself to some sweetie with dementia and they would promptly forget it and then every time I would visit they'd have made up a name for me. I guess I reminded them of someone they knew once upon a time.

My friend Mary called me "Joy".  Once, she looked at me and she said "That's not your name,is it?!" and I replied with "No, it's not, but I like it". She then said "Well, what IS your name?" and I said "Gail". "Oh" she said, "I won't forget that, my daughter's name is Gail." and bless her, I remained "Joy" for every visit after that.   

And then there was Good  Ol' Eddie,age 89,  he called me "Sylvia". 
"Syyyylvia" he'd yell.  "Come here!!"

I once asked his daughter in law, "Bye the way, who is Sylvia?" to which she replied "Oh, he likes you, he really likes you".  Now I was pretty curious and asked "Oh really?"
"Yes, that was his ex-wife"!

Laurie called me "Madge", and she had decided that I was a good friend of her sister's and she always recounted how much trouble the three of us had got ourselves into.

There was a 90 year old man named Malcolm and he referred to me as "Gloria".  Never known to be a church goer, he asked me just a few days before he passed on: "Have you come to take me to church, Gloria?"

The funniest name I was called though, had to have been from the lady who kept calling me "Tommy". I gathered that was because I was wearing a brand name Tommy Hilfiger jacket at the time. The Tommy insignia on the front must have had her really fooled!

Moral of the story:  Don't be upset that they can't get your name right.  Just go with the flow, it's a lot of fun!

1 comment:

  1. What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1600

    ReplyDelete